Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"i don't know what freaks me out more- that i matter to him, or that he matters to me." -David Levithan

Where to begin? I love this book. It is one of my absolute favorites. It's called Will Grayson, Will Grayson because it is about two different teenagers named Will Grayson. David Levithan authors the Naperville, IL Will Grayson. Naperville Will Grayson lives with his mother, is not affluent (he works to help pay the bills), does not have many friends, and was just betrayed by Maura, his closest friend. John Green authors North Shore Will Grayson, whose parents are doctors, who does what is expected of him, and who tries not to get noticed. He fails at trying not to get noticed simply by being best friends with Tiny Cooper. Tiny is best described in the words of North Shore Will Grayson:

Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the world's gayest person who is really, really large. 

It is difficult to not get noticed with a friend like that. Not unexpectedly, the very different Will Graysons cross paths and both become quite significant parts of Tiny Cooper's life, thus both narrators talk about Tiny, so the reader gets to know character Tiny through the eyes of two distinct characters. Tiny has written a musical about himself, Hold Me Closer, which comes to feature both Will Graysons prominently. Awesomely, Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story is now a separate book/work/play authored by David Levithan. A copy is resting on the table next to me and I cannot wait to read it. 

When I read this book, I find the most prominent themes to be the significance of personal relationships in one's life and the importance and impact of just participating in life. This is the second time I have picked up Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and the second time I have been absolutely delighted by it. If this is at all intriguing, check out a copy (or ebook) from your library and let me know what you think!




View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are here for you

Evaluating Tech Integration with the RAT model