What it means (to me) to be a connected educator

Education is a reflective practice. To become a better educator, one most continue to learn, grow, and reflect. Personal Learning Networks (PLNs) are fellow educators and resources that the educator seeks out and interacts with to learn and grow. Gone are the days that the only ways to connect with other educators was to talk to colleagues and attend conferences. An educator can now engage in professional learning through making connections anytime and anyplace through social media. Twitter has been particularly helpful in this regard, with Twitter discussions utilizing hashtags to allow for user participation. Additionally, Facebook Groups and Google Groups allow for people across the globe to connect in a more linear format. A question or idea is posted, and feedback is given through the form of comments. Though a hashtag may be used, it is not necessary to organize the conversation.

I do engage in PLNs through social media on a regular basis. However, it is not the only way I consider myself a connected educator. I belong to professional organizations: Illinois School Library Media Association (state), Illinois Library Association (state), and American Library Association (national). I have attended conferences given by my state associations. I serve on the board at my local library, which is in the school district, which furthers the important connection between a school and its public library. I seek out opportunities to learn new things, both in person and online. This does expand my PLN. Social media platforms have allowed educators to grow their PLNs. However, it is important to remain connected to the community to be a truly connected educator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are here for you

Evaluating Tech Integration with the RAT model

Will Grayson, Will Grayson